BY Moulavi Al hafiz Ehsan Iqbal Quadiri (Razawee)
WASEELAH/TAWASSUL (SEEKING MEANS TO ALLAH)
There is not a single act of worship in Islam that is not a Tawassul (seeking means to Allah), therefore it is inadmissible to say that tawassul is not an integral and central part of Islam. Tawassul is the very heart of Islam, and the Shahada containsa declaration of belief in Tawassul,for one cannot be a Muslim unless one recognizes the Messengership and Prophethood of The Master Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam and of all The Prophets Alaihimussalam, although the goal is Allah alone Who said:
[Zariyat 51:56] And I created the jinns and men, only for them to worship Me.
Therefore this is seeking an obligatory means to an obligatory end. The pillars of Islam similarly all consist in actions which are means before Allah for one who performs them.
It is the belief of the Ahlus Sunnah that itis permissible to supplicate to Allah with the Names and Attributes of Allah,also with the Tawasul of good deeds. It is permitted to supplicate with the Tawasul of a living pious person and it is also permitted to supplicate withthe Tawasul of the deceased pious person. It is this belief that we shall prove in this chapter. (In sha Allah).
To make Tawassul to Allah Tha’ala through the rank and position of certain individuals, alive or deceased, in the sight of AlmightyAllah This includes the Prophets Alaihimussalam, the martyrs and any other pious servant of Allah. Some scholars even mention a fourth type of Tawassul, where a person requests some living pious servant of Allah to make dua for him. This is also unanimously accepted. The only type of Tawassul that is disputed is where onemakes Tawassul through individuals that are alive or deceased, The first opposition against this form of Tawassul was in the 7th century of Islam.(Shifa us Siqaam by Imam Taqiyyuddeen Subuki)
We will categorise this subject as below.
Order of Waseelah in Quran, Waseelah with the Names and Attributes of Allah Tha’ala, Waseelahthrough good deeds, Waseelah of Our Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam before HisBlessed Birth, Waseelah of Our Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam during HisBlessed Life, Waseelah of Our Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam after He left thisworld, Waseelah through the Blessed Grave of Our Nabi Sallallahu AlaihiWasallam, Waseelah of previous Prophets of Allah Alaihimussalam, Waseelahthrough the remnants of The Prophets of Allah Alaihimussalam, Waseelah of Piousduring the time of Our Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam, Waseelah of Sahaba eKiraam sought by Sahaba e Kiraam Ridwanullahi Alaihim Ajm’aeen, Waseelahthrough the places where Pious Lived, Waseelah of Pious after they left this world and The Verses quoted byThe Wahabis.
Order of Waseelah inQuran
[Maidah 5:35] O Peoplewho Believe! Fear Allah, and seek the means towards Him, and strive in His cause, in the hope of attaining success.
Waseelah with the Names and Attributes of Allah Tha’ala.
To make Tawassul with the names and attributes of AlmightyAllah: This is also permissible and is supported by the following verse,
[Aa`raf 7:180] And forAllah only are the best names, so invoke Him by them; and abandon those whodepart from the truth regarding His names; they will soon receive the reward oftheir deeds.
Waseelah throughgood deeds
Narrated Hazrath Abdullah ibn UmarRadiyAllahu Anhuma: I heard Allah’s Rasool Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam saying,”Three men from among those who were before you, set out together till they reached a cave at night and entered it. A big rock rolled down the mountain and closed the mouth of thecave. They said (to each other), Nothing could save you from this rock but to invoke Allah by giving referenda to the righteous deed which you have done (for Allah’s sakeonly).’So, one of them said, ‘O Allah! I had old parents and I never provided my family (wife, children etc.) with milk before them. One day, by chance I was delayed, and I came late (at night) while they had slept. I milked the sheep for them and took the milk to them, but I found them sleeping. I disliked to provide my family with the milk before them. I waited for them and the bowl of milk was in my hand and I kept on waiting for them to get up till the daydawned. Then they got up and drank the milk. O Allah! If I did that for Your Sake only, please relieve us from our critical situation caused by this rock.’ So, the rock shifted a little but they could not get out.” TheProphet added, “The second man said, ‘O Allah! I had a cousin who was the dearest of all people to me and I wanted to have sexual relations with her but she refused. Later she had a hard time in a famine year and she came to me andI gave her one-hundred-and-twenty Dinars on the condition that she would notresist my desire, and she agreed. When I was about to fulfill my desire, shesaid: It is illegal for you to outrage my chastity except by legitimate marriage. So, I thought it a sin to have sexual intercourse with her and left her though she was the dearest of all the people to me, and also I left thegold I had given her. O Allah! If I did that for Your Sake only, please relieve us from the present calamity.’ So, the rock shifted a little more but still they could not get out from there.” The Prophet added, “Then the third man said, ‘O Allah! I employed few laborers and I paid them their wages with the exception of one man who did not take his wages and went away. I invested his wages and I got muchproperty thereby. (Then after some time) he came and said to me: O Allah’sslave! Pay me my wages. I said to him: All the camels, cows, sheep and slavesyou see, are yours. He said: O Allah’s slave! Don’t mock at me. I said: I am not mocking at you. So, he took all the herd and drove them away and leftnothing. O Allah! If I did that for YourSake only, please relieve us from the present suffering.’ So, that rock shifted completely and they got out walking. (Bukhari Book 36, Hadees 472)
Waseelah of Our Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam before His Blessed Birth
1. Hazrath Adam Alaihissalam made Dua like this: ‘ O Allah forgive my mistake with the Waseela of Muhammad, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace). Allah asked the Prophet Adam peace be upon him, (rhetorically) howhe knew about Muhammad, (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) Adam, peace be upon him, answered “when you created me, I lifted my headand saw: (LA ILA HA ILLALLAHU MUHAMMDUR RASU LULLAH) written on the throne.Therefore I knew that this person must be of a very high status. Other wise you would not have written his name with yours. Allah Ta’ala then said I haveforgiven you. He will be the last Messenger in your children and I have created you because of him. The second narration is when Allah Ta’ala created the Sky,and the Earth. He wrote our Prophet Muhammad’s, (May Allah bless him and granthim peace) name on the pillars of the throne and on the doors of paradise, and on the leafs of the trees in Paradise. It was written that Muhammad (My Allahbless him and grant him peace) would be the last Prophet. (Ibn Taymiyya, Tareekh Ibn Kathir, Imam Suyuti, Bayhaqi, Tabrani].
2. [Baqarah 2:89] Andwhen the Book from Allah (the Holy Qur’an) came to them, which confirms theBook in their possession (the Taurat / Torah) – and before that they used toseek victory through the medium of this very Prophet (Mohammed – peace and blessings be upon him) over the disbelievers; so when the one whom they fullyrecognised (the Holy Prophet) came to them, they turned disbelievers -therefore Allah’s curse is upon the disbelievers. The same explanation can be found Ibn Kathir, Tabari,Tabarani, Qurtubi, Jalalyn, Shawkani, Baghavi, Ibn Jawzi, Nasafi, Khaazin,Bahrul Muheet Li Abu Hibban, Nishapuri, Tafsir Kabeer, Durrul Mansoor, AbuSu’ood, Rooh ul Bayan, Aalusi, Maaturidi, Jeelani.
Waseelah of Our NabiSallallahu Alaihi Wasallam during His Blessed Life
1. On the authority of Hazrat Usman bin Haneef (RadiyAllahuAnhu), that a Sahabi who was blind by birth was taught a special Du’a by theHoly Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam),
Allahumma InneeAs’Aluka Wa Ata Wajjahu Ilayka Binabiyyika Muhammadin Nabiyyir Rahmah, YaMuhammad (Sallallahu Alayka Wasallam) Innee Ata Wajjahu Bika ilaa Rabbee FeeHaajathee haazihee lituqdwaa lee. Allahumma Fashaf’fi’hu Fiyya.
O Allah, I ask from you, and turn towards you through theWasila of Your Nabi Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), who is indeed aProphet of Mercy. O Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayka Wasallam), with your Wasila(Medium) I turn towards Allah for my need so that it may be bestowed. O Allah,accept the Prophet’s intercession for me. (Nasai, Tirmizi, Ibn Majah)
2. Imam Bukhari writes that there was a famine during the Khilafah of Hazrath Umar RadiyAllahu Anhu, who supplicated toAllah by presenting the Waseela of the uncle of Rasoolullah Sallallahu AlaihiWasallam, Hazrath Abbas RadiyAllahu Anhu, He prayed to Allah by saying: ‘OAllah, we used to supplicate to you with the Waseela of the Prophet (May Allahbless him and grant him peace) and you would bestow us with rain. Now we present You the Waseela of HazrathAbbas RadiyAllahu Anhu, the uncle of the Prophet So please grant us rain.’ [Bukhari in Baab-ul-Istisqaa]
Waseelah of Our NabiSallallahu Alaihi Wasallam after He left this world
1. A person in dire need visited Ameerul Mu’mineen HazratUsman Ghani (RadiyAllah anhu). The Caliph was busy with some other work and hedid not attend to his need. Thereafter, the person went to Hazrat Usman binHaneef (RadiyAllahu anhu) and complained about the matter. Hazrat Usman binHaneef (RadiyAllahu anhu) ordered the man to perform the Wudhu (ablution),enter the masjid and to offer two Rakaats of Nafil Salaah. He was then torecite the following Du’a: AllahummaInnee As’Aluka Wa Ata Wajjahu Ilayka Binabiyyinaa Muhammadin Nabiyyir Rahmah,Ya Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayka Wasallam) Innee Ata Wajjahu Bika ilaa RabbeeFayaqdwi Haajati “O Allah, I beg of you and I seek your assistance,with the Wasila (Medium) of your beloved Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)who is the Prophet of Mercy. O Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayka Wasallam)! I turn toAllah with your Wasila so that my needs be fulfilled.” Thereafter, he wastold to mention his need. On completion, he was told to visit Hazrat Usman binHaneef (RadiyAllahu Anhu), so that both could visit the august court of HazratUsman Ghani (RadiyAllahu Anhu). When he presented himself in front of the greatCaliph, he was not only shown great respect, but his need and wish were alsoimmediately granted. The Caliph, then addressing the man stated: “In futureif you require any favour, come immediately to me.” After they had left the court of the greatCaliph, the man thanked Hazrat Usman bin Haneef (RadiyAllahu anhu) formentioning him to the Caliph, the latter clearly stated that he had not evenapproached the Caliph. He then stated: “By Allah, I saw the Holy Prophet(Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) teaching the very same Du’a to a blind man.Miraculously, the blind man then approached us before we could even completeour conversation, and it appeared as if he had never been blind.” (ImamTabarani in Mu’jam)
2. Hazrat Utbi Radiyallahu Anhu said: “As I was sitting by the grave ofthe Prophet, a Bedouin Arab came and said: “Peace be upon you, O Messengerof Allah! I have heard Allahsaying: ”
[Nisa4:64] And We did not send any Noble Messenger except that he be obeyed byAllah’s command; and if they, when they have wronged their own souls, comehumbly to you (O dear Prophet Mohammed – peace and blessings be upon him) andseek forgiveness from Allah, and the Noble Messenger intercedes for them, theywill certainly find Allah as the Most Acceptor Of Repentance, the MostMerciful. Then he recited these verses:
“O,the most exalted among the buried people who improved the worth of the plainsand the hillocks! May I sacrifice my life for this grave which is made radiantby You, (the Prophet,) the One who is (an embodiment) of mercy andforgiveness.”
Then the bedouin went away and I fellasleep. In my dream I saw the HolyProphet (Peace Be Upon Him). He said to me: O ‘Utbi, the bedouin is right, goand give him the good news that Allah has forgiven his sins. [Imam Nawawi in Kitab ul Azkaar, IbnKathir, Shu’bul Imaan lil Bayhaqi]
3. Hazrat Ali Radiyallahu Anhu said, Threedays after burying the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) arab did came and did throwhimself on the grave of the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him), took the earth andthrow it on his head. He said: “Ya Rasoolallah! (Peace Be Upon Him) Youdid speak and we did hear, you learned from Allah and we did learn from you.Between those things which Allah did send you, is following: (4:64) I am the one, which is a sinner andnow I did came to you, so that you may ask for me.” After that a call from the grave did came: “Theres no doubt, youare forgiven!” [Tafsiral-Qurtubi, al-Jami li Ahkam al-Quran]
4.A person came over to see ‘Abdul Malik bin Saeed bin Abjar. ‘Abdul Malikpressed his belly and told him that he was suffering from an incurable discase.The man asked him: what is it? Abdul Malik replied that it was a kind of ulcerthat grows inside the belly and ultimately kills the man. It is said that thepatient turned round and then he said: Allah! Allah! Allah is my Lord. I regardno one as His rival or partner. O Allah!I beseech You and submit myself to You through the mediation of Your ProphetMuhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), the merciful Prophet. O Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayka Wasallam)!Through your means I submit myself to your and my Lord that He should take mercy on me in mystate of illness. It is said that Abdul Malikpressed his belly again and said: you are cured, you are no longer sufferingfrom any disease. (Ibn Taymiyyah in his book Mujabi ad-dua and after recordingthe whole incident in his book, comments: I say that this and other forms ofsupplication have been taken over from our predecessors (Qaida al Jaleela Fit Tawassul wal Wasila)
Waseelah through theBlessed Grave of Our Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam
The people of Medina were inthe grip of a severe famine. They complained to Syyida A’ishah SiddeeqahRadiyallahu Anha (about their terrible condition). Shetold them to go towards the Prophet’s Grave and open a window in the directionof the sky so that there is no curtain between the sky and the grave. Thenarrator says they did so. Then it started raining heavily; even the lush greengrass sprang up (everywhere) and the camels had grown so fat (it seemed) theywould burst out due to the over piling of blubber. So the year was named as theyear of greenery and plenty. (Sunan Darimi, Al-Wafabi Ahwal lil Mustafa)
Waseelah of previous Prophets of Allah Tha’ala,(Alaihimussalam)
Sayyiduna Anas ibn Maalik[RadiyAllahu Anhu] reports that when the mother of Sayyiduna Ali [RadiyAllahuAnha] passed away (Faatima bint Asad RadiyAllahu Anha], Rasoolullah [SallallahuAlaihi Wasallam] made the following Dua before burying her: O Allah, The Onewho gives life and death, and Who is living and will never die, forgive mymother Faatima bint Asad (RadiyAllahu Anha)and make her arguments known to her,i.e. make the answering of Munkar and Nakeer easy, and make her grave spaciousfor her. (I ask you) through the rightof your Prophet and all the Prophets before me (Alaihimussalam), for verilyYou are Most Merciful. (Tabarani al-Mujamul awsat, Ibn Hibbaan, Ibn Jawzi, AbuNua’aym Hulyat ul Awliya)
Waseelah through theremnants of The Prophets of Allah Tha’ala, (Alaihimussalam)
[Baqarah 2:248] Andtheir Prophet said to them, “Indeed the sign of his kingdom will be thecoming of a (wooden) box to you, in which from your Lord is the contentment ofhearts and containing some souvenirs (remnants) left behind by the honourableMoosa and the honourable Haroon (Aaron), borne by the angels; indeed in it is agreat sign* for you if you are believers.”
The wooden box was three yards long and two yards wide. Itwas bestowed by Allah to Hazrat Adam. It contained the natural photographs ofseveral prophets and it had been passed on from one Prophet to another until itreached Prophet Moses . It remained with Bani Israel at which time it alsocontained the staff and sandals of Hazrath Musa Alaihissalam, the staff andturban of Hazrath Haroon Alaihissalam , and some pieces of the Tablet (ofTorah). At the time of battle, the BaniIsrael used to place this wooden box in front and by its blessings Allah usedto grant them victory. And whenever Bani Israel had some need, they used toplace it in front of them and supplicate to Allah, and their need used to befulfilled. Later on when Bani Israel fell into sin, Allah imposed upon themanother nation called Amalikah, who abused them and took the wooden box awayfrom them. The Amalikah placed this sacred box in a filthy place. Thisdefilement brought Allah’s wrath upon them, destroying several of their towns.An old woman from Bani Israel who was with them, advised them to banish thewooden box. The Amalikah tied two rowdy bullocks to a cart and placing thewooden box on it released it into the open country. The angels brought thebullock cart to the new king of Bani Israel (Talut). When the box reached them,Allah granted them victory. This had been foretold to them by their ProphetSamuel\, according to the above verse. (Tafseer Khazin, Madarik)
Waseelah of Piousduring the time of Our Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam
1. [B/Israel 17:57] The devoted bondmen whom thesedisbelievers worship, themselves seekthe means of proximity from their Lord, that who among them is the closest (tohis Lord), and hope for His mercy and fear His punishment; indeed thepunishment of your Lord is to be feared.
2. Sayyidah Aishah Siddeeqah(RadiyAllahu Anha) says that the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)said, “O Allah! Grant Islam respectthrough Umar ibn Khatab.” (Ibn Majah)
3. Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam instructed hiscompanions that when they go to bed they should supplicate
BISMIKA RABBI WADA’THU JAMBI WABIKA ARFA’UHU FA INAMSAKTHA NAFSI FAR’HAMHA WA IN ARSALTHAHAA FAHFAZWHAA BIMA THAHFAZWU BIHEEIBAADAKAS SAALIHEEN. In Your Name, O Lord, I lay me downto sleep. And by Your leave I raise myself up. So if You take away my soulduring sleep, forgive it, and if You keep it alive after sleep, protect it justas You protect Your pious servants
4. The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:”Abdaals will be in Syria. They are forty men. When one of them passesaway, then Allah Ta’ala puts another in his place. Through their blessings it rains. Through them victory is gained overenemies and through their blessings punishment is moved away from the people ofSyria.” (Mishkaat Shareef)
5. Hazrath Umar ibn Khattab reported: Iheard Allah’s Rasool (may peace be upon him) as saying: Worthy amongst thesuccessors would be a person who would be called Uwais. He would have his mother (livingwith him) and he would have (a small) sign of leprosy. Ask him to beg pardon for you (from Allah). (Bukhari, Book 31, Hadith6171)
6. Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: The Prophetsaid, “Amongst the men of Bani Israel there was a man who had murdered ninety-nine persons. Thenhe set out asking (whether his repentance could be accepted or not). He cameupon a monk and asked him if his repentance could be accepted. The monk repliedin the negative and so the man killed him. He kept on asking till a man advisedto go to such and such village. (So he left for it) but death overtook him onthe way. While dying, he turned hischest towards that village (where he had hoped his repentance would beaccepted), and so the angels of mercy and the angels of punishmentquarrelled amongst themselves regarding him. Allah ordered the village (towardswhich he was going) to come closer to him, and ordered the village (whence hehad come), to go far away, and then He ordered the angels to measure thedistances between his body and the two villages. So he was found to be one spancloser to the village (he was going to). So he was forgiven.” (Bukhari, Book 56, Hadith 676)
7. The Holy Prophet SallallahuAlaihi Wasallam said that seven people will always remain in my Ummah, and with their waseela, Allah will providerain, help, and food for the Ummah.
8. The Holy Prophet Sallallahu AlaihiWasallam said that thirty abdaal (saints) will always stay in my Ummah, and with their waseela, Allah Almighty willprovide rain, help and food. Qattadah says, Hasan al Basri was one of them. (Tafsir ibn Kathir Surah Al-Baqarahunder Verse 252).
9. On theauthority of Abu Sa`id al-Khudri, may Allah be pleased with him: He relatesthat the Messenger of Allah said: “The one who leaves his house for prayerand then says:
“O Allah, I ask you by the right of those who ask you and I beseechyou by the right of those who walk this path unto you that mygoing forth bespeak not of levity, pride nor vainglory nor done for the sake ofrepute. I have gone forth in the warding off your anger and for the seeking ofyour pleasure. I ask you, therefore, to grant me refuge from hell fire and toforgive me my sins. For no one forgive sins but yourself.” Allah willaccept for his sake and seventy thousand angels will seek his forgiveness.(Ahmad, Ibn Majah)
Waseelah of Sahaba eKiraam sought by Sahaba e Kiraam Ridwanullahi Alaihim Ajm’aeen
1. Imam Bukhari writes that there was afamine during the Khilafah of Hazrath Umar RadiyAllahu Anhu, who supplicated toAllah by presenting the Waseela of the uncle of Rasoolullah Sallallahu AlaihiWasallam, Hazrath Abbas RadiyAllahu Anhu, He prayed to Allah by saying: ‘OAllah, we used to supplicate to you with the Waseela of the Prophet (May Allahbless him and grant him peace) and you would bestow us with rain. Now we present You the Waseela of HazrathAbbas RadiyAllahu Anhu, the uncle of the Prophet So please grant us rain.’ [Bukhari in Baab-ul-Istisqaa]
WahabiTampering in the Hadees, Narrated Anas: Whenever drought threatened them, ‘Umarbin Al-Khattab, used to ask Al-Abbas bin ‘Abdul Muttalib to invoke Allah forrain. He used to say, “O Allah! We used to ask our Prophet to invoke Youfor rain, and You would bless us with rain, and now we ask his uncle to invoke You for rain. O Allah ! Bless uswith rain.” And so it would rain. Bukhari Book 17, Hadees 123)
The episode involving HazrathAbbas RadiyAllahu Anhu makes it clear that to seek intercession from the virtuous,the pious and members of the Prophet’s family is a desirable act. In addition, this event proves the high status ofHazrath Abbas as well as reveals Hazrath Umar’s respect for him and theacknowledgement of his status. (RadiyAllahu Anhuma). (Imam Ibn Hajar in Fathhul Baari).
2. Duringthe Khilafah of Hazrath Ameer Muawiya RadiyAllahu Anhu there was a famine. Thepeople came out of their houses and Hazrath Ameer Muawiya asked them”Where is Yazeed bin Aswad Jurshi?,” where upon Hazrath Yazeed binAswad RadiyAllahu Anhu came to Hazrath Ameer Muawiya who then supplicated inthis way ‘Ya Allah we supplicate to youwith the Waseela of one of the best of the people from this age’. Then heasked Yazeed bin Aswad to supplicate to Allah, for rain, and when hesupplicated, it began to rain. [“Tabqa’atIbn Sa’ad biography of Yazeed bin Aswad & Ibn Tayymiah in Qaaida Jaleelahfit tawassul wal Waseelah]
3. A time will come when the non-believerswill fight the Muslims. It will be asked, Isthere anyone in the army who has seen the Prophet? Theywill reply yes and will win the war. Another time will come when there will beanother war with the kafirs and the Muslims and a question will be asked, haveyou anyone in the army who has seen the companions of the Prophet? They willreply yes and will win the war. Another time will come and a question will beasked, Isthere anyone in the army who has seen the person who has seen the companions’companions? They will reply yes, and will win the war. [Bukhari Book 52,Hadees 146 and Muslim]
Ibn Hajar Asqalani writes that these threewars will be won by the Muslims with the waseela of the Sahabah, tabi’ee andtaba tabi’ee. This hadith is also verified by another hadith, where Prophet[May Allah bless him and grant Him peace] said: “My time is the best, then the companions time is the best, then thepeople who have seen the companions’ companions time is the best.” [Imam Ibn Hajar Asqalanai in Fathul Bari chap onJihad]
Waseelah through theplaces where Pious Lived
1. Narrated Mahmud bin Rabi` Al-Ansari : `Itban binMalik used to lead his people (tribe) inprayer and was a blind man, he said to Allah’s Rasool , “O Allah’s Apostle ! At times it isdark and flood water is flowing (in the valley) and I am blind man, so please pray at a place in my house sothat I can take it as a Musalla (praying place).” So Allah’s Rasool wentto his house and said, “Where do you like me to pray?”‘Itban pointed to a place in his houseand Allah’s Rasool Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam, offered the prayer there.(Bukhari, Book 11, Hadees 636)
2. Narrated Yazid bin Al ‘Ubaid: I used toaccompany Salama bin Al-akwa’ and he used to pray behind the pillar which wasnear the place where the Quran’s were kept I said, “O Abu Muslim! I seeyou always seeking to pray behind this pillar.” He replied, “I saw Allah’s Rasool always seekingto pray near that pillar. (Bukhari, Book 9, Hadees 481)
3. [A/I`mran 3:37 – 39] So her Lord fully accepted her (Maryam), and gave her an excellentdevelopment; and gave her in Zakaria’s guardianship; whenever Zakaria visitedher at her place of prayer, he found new food with her; he said, “O Maryam!From where did this come to you?” She answered, “It is from Allah; indeed Allahgives to whomever He wills, without account.” (Miracles occur through the friends of Allah.) It ishere that Zakaria prayed to his Lord; he said, “My Lord! Give me fromYourself a righteous child; indeed You only are the Listener Of Prayer.” Andthe angels called out to him while he was standing, offering prayer at hisplace of worship, “Indeed Allah gives you glad tidings of Yahya (John), who will confirm a Word (or sign) from Allah, – a leader,always refraining from women, a Prophet from one of Our devoted ones.”
Waseelah of Piousafter they left this world
1. It isnarrated by Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbas that The HolyProphet said, ‘The very firstreward that the true believer will receive after his death is that all thosewho had participated in his funeral Salaah shall be forgiven’ (Shu’bul-Imaan, V7, P7, Hadith No.258)
2. It is thebeautiful saying of our Holy Prophet that the very first gift a true believer will receive when entering thegrave is that all of those people who had participated in his funeral Salaahare forgiven. (Kanzul-Ummal, V15, P595)
3.Once there was a drought in Samarqand, People tried their best, some said Salatal Istisqa but still it did not rain, A renowned righteous man known as Salihcame to the Qadhi and said: In my opinion you along with your public shouldvisit the grave of Imam Bukhari RadiyAllahu Anhu, His grave is located inKhartank, We should (go near the Qabr) and ask for rain, Allah might give usrain then, TheQadhi said Yes to his opinion and then he along with the people went towards(the Qabr) and then He made a dua along with the people and people started to cry nearthe grave and started to make him a Waseela (Imam Bukhari). Allah Ta’ala(immediately) sent rainclouds. All people stayed in Khartank forabout 7 days, none of them wanted to go back to Samarqand although the distancebetween Samarqand and Khartank was only 3 miles [Imam Dhahabi in AsSiyar alAlam Vol 12 P 469]
Similarly,there many narrations about many Great Awliya such as Syyiduna Ma’roof Karkhi,Syyiduna Imam Ali Rida, Syyiduna Ghous ul A’zam and many more, for example Syyiduna Imam Shaafai Radiyallahu Anhu saidthat the Blessed Grave of Syyiduna Imam Musa Kazim Radiyallahu Anhu is well experienced for the acceptance of Dua,Syyiduna Imam Shaafai Radiyallhu Anhu used to make Tawassul of Imam Abu HanifaRadiyallahu Anhu. Syyiduna Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal Radiyallahu Anhu used to makeTawassul of Imam Shaafai Radiyallahu Anhu
Verses quoted by The Wahabis
1. [Baqarah 2:186] And O dear Prophet (Peace and blessings be uponhim), when My bondmen question you concerning Me, then surely I am close; Ianswer the prayer of the supplicant when he calls on Me, so they must obey Meand believe in Me, so that they may attain guidance
The above Verse doesn’t denyasking Allah through a mean, because supplicating to Allah directly or throughHis Names and Attributes or through Good Deeds or through Pious are all proven.And the rejection of all above will be denial of The Verses of The Holy Quranand The Ahaadees of Nabi e Kareem Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam.
2. [Zumar 39:3] Pay heed!Worship is for Allah only; and those who have taken others as their supportersbeside Him say; “We worship * them only so that they get us closer to Allah”;Allah will surely judge between them regarding the matter in which theydispute; indeed Allah does not guide one who is a big liar, extremelyungrateful.
The Ayah is clear that The pagans regarded their idols as smaller Godsand worshipped them. So did the Christians. This does not apply to Muslims whoonly respect their elders, and ask for their blessings.
Misguiding tool of Wahabis, Waseelahof a living is allowed and of the dead is Shirk or Bid’ah
HadTawassul been shirk or Bidah then it would have been Shirk and Bidah in allforms whether through an alive person or dead (becausedefinition of shirk does not change due to transition of life, just like making idol of alive person is shirk similarly it is shirk of making idol of a deadperson)
May Allah Tha’ala guide us on the Right Path and protect all of us from the Deviants. Aameen